Sunday, February 17, 2013

Here We Go! Welcome, Class of 2014!

Dottie and Lucy Collier
(courtesy of Jan Collier)

YES. These are two of my four chickens. My life is never boring. Sort of.

I just want to make sure that we are all on the same page regarding this project. You are blogging on aspects of food ethics: economy, animal welfare, organic vs. conventional, environment, and the locavore movement. But--the goal of this project is not to make you change your eating habits, though Miss Carney and I would like nothing more than to instill in you the importance of being your own health advocate. The overarching aim of these next few weeks is to make you a citizen of the larger world: to recognize the interconnectedness of issues, to learn how to sift through information, and to research and synthesize, in order to create an informed opinion. As part of this, you will learn to write, publish, post, and attribute pictures and information, as well as link to articles and websites. Along those lines, here are a few links to get you started (many of these will apply to more than one group):

Food Safety and the loss of inspectors due to spending cuts means we're in trouble! Check it out here.

What are the 12 scariest things in your food?

Farmers' use of genetically modified soybeans grows into a Supreme Court case.

Are we in a new era of food scarcity, and if so, how is this connected to collapsed civilazations?

Cotton--it's ubiquitous. From paper towels to clothing, to "unmentionable" products, we use/wear a lot of cotton. So what's the problem? Check here.

Did you know the Mississippi River is experiencing many problems due to the drought, and that many of these issues affect FOOD. It's pretty serious. Here's a report from the National Geographic

Russia and the US--not the best of friends. But Russia absolutely snubs its nose at US meat. Why?

Monsanto is one of the biggest and most influential companies behind GE seeds, patented with a Roundup-ready gene. It was bound to happen...pesticide resistant superweeds.


So, here's one for the Francophile and the locavore, and especially, anyone who loves all things PARIS! Plus, it's a blog. Great ideas here!

Animal lovers--does your seafood feel pain? It's worth a look!

OK! Have fun. Miss Carney and I will be checking with each blog group weekly, bringing up your blogs on the big screen and getting your thoughts on what's interesting and in the news. 


Tex Collier: The Chicken Protector (he loves them)
Courtesy of Jan Collier










27 comments:

  1. Very interesting article about USDA spending cuts being potentially enacted due to political party disagreement. Really shows the interconnectedness of food distribution and legislation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Will. You get the award for following directions. Plus, great guitar playing today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the links Mrs. Collier! We will definitely be using them for some future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kaitlin. Will trade post ideas for brussels sprouts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting article about Russia refusing to import our meat. I did a little more research on the hormone in question, ractopamine, and the side-effects are absolutely terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another one you might want to add to the list: Kellogg's had to recall Special K because they found glass fragments in the cereal. Also a few days before Lean Cuisine had to recall some of their meals for having shards of glass in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could not believe some of the things in the article about the scariest things in our food. I hope yellow #5 and #6 aren't in my Girl Scout cookies! And I hope I've never eaten anything with beaver juice in it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was interesting to read about how bollworms are causing a fail in cotton production today in India. We are learning about how they affected farmers in the 1930s in APUSH!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your chickens are so cute Mrs. Collier! My grandparents have them too and the fresh eggs are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find the connection between the food scarcity in America and other previous civilizations fascinating. Is this growing food problem a glimpse into the future of our civilization?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought it was really interesting (and kind of gross) to read about the Russian ban on American meat. If the Russians think its so terrible that they don't want it in their country at all, then why is our government letting us it it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I just read "The 11 Scariest Things in Your Food" and am amazed at the things that we are not aware of as consumers. This is important information to know and needs to be advertised and put out for everyone to see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good thing I gave up soda for Lent, so I won't be drinking anything with Acesulfame Potassium in it! What those things in food can do to you is scary. I'll have to watch what I eat.

    P.S. Your cat is adorable. SO FIERCE!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AHH the link to the "10 scariest things in your food" is disturbing and a bit alarming. I will definitely be avoiding those food. Also, Tex is a very handsome kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The seafood thing is intriguing. Our group shall conduct further research.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just read the "11 Scariest Things in Your Food", and it was very disturbing! It was very frightening to see all the sicknesses or disorders that can be caused by eating these certain things. I will definitely consider this the next time I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For once, I am going to completely agree with Russian ideology ... if only we listened! Like the other 160 countries, I think it's time we put more pressure on our government to enforce laws about what we put in our mouths. Essentially what we eat now can help or hurt our society and we don't want to be at fault for hurting Mother Earth. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The article, "11 Scariest Things in Your Food" was really eye-opening. I thought it was very interesting how Acesulfame Potassium and Aspartame were artificial sweeteners that have been linked to weight gain. Often when we think of "diet" foods we assume that they will help us lose weight, but really these are just tricky ingredients that can pack on the pounds. After seeing the link to the article "How Soda is Making You Fat," I decided to check it out. After reading through I learned that one of the many reasons that diet soda can lead to weight gain is because the "calorie-free sweetness may confuse the brain into craving more sugar." After reading this I will definitely think twice before I drink soda whether it be diet or regular.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm honestly going to start having nightmares in which I'm just eating food that contains the things mentioned in the article "11 Scariest Things in Your Food"! I want to say that it's sneaky and how could I have known, but I feel like half the blame is on me for not looking hard enough! I'm starting to feel better and better about the fact that I gave up soda for lent... now time to get over my sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The "11 Scariest Things in Your Food" article is so eye opening. This stuff is everywhere! Your chickens are awesome by the way. My neighbors have chickens too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. After reading the "11 Scariest Things in Your Food" article, I think I'm done with tomato paste for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The overreaching effects of the Mississippi River drought are incredible. Its shocking that the decrease in shipment of goods because of the drought has had an impact so many goods and products, from road salt, to cattle, and even to beer! This really shows the interconnectedness of our economy and reliance on our current means of transporting goods.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! I just read "11 Scariest Things in Your Food" and I am completely disgusted. I cannot believe that Castoreum (aka: Beaver anal gland juice) is found in vanilla and raspberry flavorings! It is only labeled as "natural flavorings" on the products; I wonder why. Not to mention I am currently eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I read the "Seafood Feel Pain" article, and honestly, I'm surprised that people are shocked at the idea that seafood (specially fish) feel pain! To me, it's obvious that they do! If they have any sort of nervous system, it seems pretty likely. I think it's good that people are finally realizing this, and will hopefully open their eyes to other animals that are slaughtered like pigs and cows. People treat them like they don't feel pain. I wonder if workers know that what they were doing was hurting the animals, and if they would stop.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're going to have to give me tips on raising chickens soon! You seem to be an expert and we could use all the help we can get at the Duke house!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I read the article about Walmart no longer opposing GMO legislation, and I can say I am glad. I personally do not want GMO's in my food, and knowing which foods actually have those would really help!

    ReplyDelete